Thursday, March 23, 2006

March 23, 2006: Q & A

Q. Vanessa, your SXSW observations seem steeped in jealousy. I was curious if you considered yourself a jealous person? April, your observations seem more about inconviences. I will submit these to SXSW suggestions.

A. April: Please do submit. Next year I refuse to be plagued by tall people crowding me.

A. Vanessa: Is this one of those comments-disguised-as-a-question? Okay I'll bite. Do I sometimes act w/ jealousy? Yes. Am I jealous person? No. But then I don't believe that a person is condemned by their thoughts.

However, Anonymous, you've given me enough pause to revise my rants. So here goes:

1. Badgies: Hell yes I want your badge. I really wanted your badge when I couldn't get in to Superchunk on Saturday night. I don't want your badge in Whole Foods/Magnolia/Jo's. Got it?

2. Skinny jeans: See, even the manufacturers think they're ugly. And, for the record, I'm not in the 3% of the population either. Happy now?

3. Double parking: Am I supposed to be jealous of double parkers?


Q. My wife is extremely hip and with-it. But I sometimes get tired of trying to keep up. There's so much self-involved stuff going on that I often feel lost. The latest craze or hip thing means nothing to me. It's not easy for me to simply like what I sincerely like and co-exist among her friends. Any suggestions?

A. April: No easy solution here. You're going to have to just suck it up and be 'not cool or hip' and be ok with that. If it means nothing to you, why agonize over it? There are much bigger issues out there besides the latest fashion craze or trendy crap.

A. Vanessa: I don't blame you for being tired of keeping up. So don't.


Q. SXSW? Why do I even try? I still miss the old days - when there was a quest to just seeking good music. That time has passed. Now there's no ability to slowly foster a relationship with a band. New Media is everywhere. Why are new bands releasing their third box set? All this output before they even polish their first song? I realize the mission is near impossible. How can a band create something mysteriously compelling in 2006? Not easy. On the fan side, I could do without everyone attaching their self-esteem or identity to the bands they brag about. What? You like the cute, buzzy, perfect band? And no one's heard of them yet? I'm so impressed. Mostly, I like music that lifts me. Sometimes a band lifts me, but their songs don't. Also, if the tunes depress me, that's fine to, but, they better be damn good. I definitely don't like bands that can characterize punk's amateurism and none of it's point or humor. And I'll take direct songs about divorces, lived lives, and adultery everybit as much the critically blessed obscure tones of the day. My Bloody Valentine was an exception, not a target. So, after SXSW, I feel like I'm the character in High Fidelity. A guy who has actually retarded his life with too much devotion to rock and roll. I'm an old guy trapped in a teenager's mindset. It's pretty pathetic, but, what else is there in Life? Let me know. See you next year, Fell O. Austinite.

A. April: Dear Fell O Austinite - this one is too deep for any kind of brutal honestly. Quite frankly, maybe you need another interest or hobby besides music if it makes you so depressed. Damn, you brought me down!

A. Vanessa: Dear Fell O. Austinite -- Dang you gots a lot of questions! Fortunately, I'm intrepid.
SXSW? Yes.
Why do I even try? I dunno? Ritalin?
Why are new bands releasing their third box set? All this output before they even polish their first song? Agreed -- lame. My inclination was to indict the recording industry b/c I share your irk, but the problem is not in the production, the problem is in the demand. Simply, if people didn't buy them they wouldn't produce them. My suggestion is to camp out in Walmart and administer electric shocks to the suckers who are purchasing these.
How can a band create something mysteriously compelling in 2006? Ask The Walkmen.
What? Huh?
You like the cute, buzzy, perfect band? Oh yes mama, yes.
And no one's heard of them yet? Ask the Walkmen.
It's pretty pathetic, but, what else is there in Life? We already answered this question, yo. Third question down. Phew! You wore me out. Nap time.

Q. I thought it rained too much. I blame God.


A. April: You are absolutely right to blame God. Everything bad that happens is his fault. You *might* want to throw Jesus into that mix as well. He's no innocent.

A. Vanessa: Who???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There’s a guy I’m interested in getting to know better. The problem is, one of my good friends is infatuated with him. I don’t think she has a chance in hell with him, but she made her feelings known to me first and I know she would be hurt if she thought I was interested. I know this is an age-old dilemna. If I was in love with him, I know what I’d do, but this is more along the lines of low-level interest. What if I just want to mess around with him, but that’s all? I think my friend should get over it, but am I wrong to want to see what happens? Is he fair game?