Friday, April 14, 2006

Therapist

Q: I'm looking for a therapist. I've had three very different experiences in therapy. I was curious if you've discovered any good methods to this process? I have several friends who try to pursuade me not to go, albeit sometimes indirectly, and that's what I've been doing for the past few years. However, I think my life needs some form of an honest broker, but the search is pretty daunting. Thanks.


A. April: Not quite sure I can answer this for you since I've personally never had to reach out to a therapist (not that there's anything wrong with it people! everyone needs a little help every now and then). My suggestion is to talk to your family doctor and see if he/she can provide a referral to you. Good luck in your quest! P.S. why are your friends dissuading you from therapy?? Ignore them - they know nothing. (oh wait, you weren't asking for advice on them were you?)
A. Vanessa: Dude what's up w/ your friends? I'm glad you're following your own path. To your question though, finding a therapist is like a bikini wax: it's not that fun but you gotta do it. (If you're a guy insert some other analogy.) First, if you have insurance and want to use it, then you start making calls from that list. Many therapists might be on your insurance, but are not taking new clients. If you don't have or don't want to use insurance, then I'd start pulling together a potential list through referrals (though it doesn't seem like your friends are in a position to offer) or through the web. There are a bazillion different types of therapeutic methods out there, so do the research to find a type that might resonate w/ you. Often those sites have links to registered therapists by region. I would also consider non-traditional therapy. Second, once you culled a list, treat this like an interview process. It can be exhausting, but it's much better to find the right therapist than any therapist. Third, be up front that you're trying to find the right therapist so that they show their hand on the first visit. Personally, I look for accountability in a therapist -- meaning someone who can offer more than just an ear. Finally, trust your gut. If you happen to be in Austin, let me know and I'll recommend someone whom I really respect.

In other news.... it's APRIL'S BIRTHDAY today!!! Happy Birthday, my brutally honest friend!

No comments: