Wednesday, August 23, 2006

August 23, 2006: Q&A

Q: I have a dilemma that I really should consider fortunate. I have a decent job that pays really well and offers a ton of flexibility. However, I find myself bored to tears with this job, and looking around at the different projects going on don’t really excite me. I’ve been with this company for awhile now, and I really think it’s time for me to move on to a different challenge. The problem is I’ve been offered a large sum of money if I stay for five more months. Is it dumb of me to look for other work before I collect the money? Should I just suck it up and wait it out? Please help – I’d hate to make a really bad decision based on either greed or impulse.

A. Vanessa: Quit already wouldja? First, it sounds like you already know what to do but are ignoring your intuition. The more you ignore it, the quieter it gets. The quieter it gets the closer you get to ending up on Dr. Phil talkin' 'bout those seven babies you had w/ seven different people. Sweet.
Second, you're assuming that life is a zero sum game. It's not. You think that if you walk away from the bonus you're left with nothing. Maybe, but I doubt it. I can't say how you'll be compensated, but I believe that when you take big risks (and no, I don't mean unprotected sex), you're rewarded big.
Lastly, job hunting is rarely a quick turnaround. Gone are the days of looking in the classifieds on a Sunday and starting a week from Monday. The whole interviewing process can take a while (trust me on this -- I just changed jobs) so you may start looking now and find your new start date coinciding w/ your five months pay-off. Cha-ching.

No comments: